CODES AND STANDARDS
The list below provides a summary of known codes and standards that are currently in use in South Africa where Measurement and Verification (M&V) is required to substantiate adherence.
- IPMVP: International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol (IPMVP) defines standard terms and suggests best practice for quantifying results of energy efficiency investments.
- EVO: The Efficiency Valuation Organisation (EVO) is the only non-profit organization in the world solely dedicated to creating Measurement and Verification (M&V) tools to allow efficiency to flourish. To achieve this it offers products and services like IPMVP.
- SANS 50 010:2011: South African National Standard (SANS) for ‘The measurement and verification of energy savings”, founded on international best practice and is based on the IPMVP.
- SANAS TR81-01: The South African National Accreditation System (SANAS) depicting the technical requirements for the application of SANS/ISO/IEC17 020:1998 in the assessment of inspection bodies’ application of SANS 50 010:2011.
- SANS/ISO 17 020:1998 “General criteria for the operation of various types of bodies performing inspection”.
- ISO 50 001:2011, an energy management standard which stipulates a set of interlinked processes, practices and procedures driven by a clear policy, with the aim to reduce energy costs, published by the International Standards Organisation.
- SANS 204 for Energy Efficiency in Buildings.
- ASHRAE Guideline 4:2008: American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Airconditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), Guideline 4 is for the “Preparation of Operating and Maintenance Documentation for Building Systems”.
- UNFCCC/Kyoto Protocol/CDM: The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) co-operatively consider limiting the average global temperature and the resultant climate change and its impacts through initiatives like the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) to encourage emission reduction projects and the Kyoto Protocol, which legally binds developed countries to emission reduction targets.
Download codes, standards, regulations, legislation below.